Santiago Gateway dates back to Roman times, althouth it has been completely rebuilt. Since XII century it has been know as Posticu, Porticu and Postigo Gateway. All these name are related with the existence of a small door within a larger one. It is 4,5 metres wide and 5,50 metres high. There are 6,90 metres from the ground up to the top of the wall.
This was once a private gateway, belonging to the church, it was used by canons and their servants in their transit to the orchards. This was the only gateway kept open at times of plague. It was widened by Bishop Izquierdo y Tavira in 1759 to make way for carriages; it consists of an archway and granite ashlars. The towers standing on both sides have stone benches on top so that pedestrians can have a rest. On the occasion of one of its restorations it was embellished in the inner side, as it was considered a main exit point. It is enhanced with an image of Santiago Matamoros (St James, the killer of moors) in a niche; on the lower part lies Bishop Izquierdo's coat of arms.
When entering the old quarter through this gate, the visitor is surprised at seeing the magnificient St Mary´s Cathedral. Afterwards, one can stroll along the path on top of the wall, as there is a nearby ramp, the only place accessible for the handicapped.