This is the gate that has kept the original Roman layout best. It is now commonly referred to as Porta do Carme, because it is located next to the chapel of this name; in Medieval documents it is called Minei or Mineana, because it was the most obvious passage towards River Miño, hence, the present name.
This gate was built according to Vitrubius's model: half-point arch and cannon vault, buttressed by solid granite blocks. It still keeps on both sides the guards cubicule with slight alterations to the original; this in-built cavity was used until the XIX century as a chapel. The gate was repaired in 1854; in 1870 plans to rebuild it were shelved due to economic constraints at the Town Hall.
It is placed on a slope, made of slate blocks and it is 3.65 m. wide. Throught this gate, the staircase takes us to the upper walk. This is also the exit from the city of the Primitive Prilgrims Way to Santiago.