This gate dates back to Roman times when it was used to travel to Brigantium (Betanzos). Until the opening of the new Gate of San Fernando in 1854 this was the main thoroughfare into the Northern section of the city. It was rebuilt in the Middle Ages and it was already known in the XII century as Porta Nova (New Gate). The Medieval door was similar to the one at Porta Miñá and like this, the space on both sides was used as a chapel, consecrated to St. Mary and Virgin de los Remedios. This chapel was closed down in 1785, at the request of San Pedros parson, since it had been pillaged and profanated several times.
The present gateway was built in 1900, to replace the former one that was in ruins and posed a serious danger for pedestrians. One of the Walls towars had to be demolished to make way for the new gate.
It is placed on a slope and it is 4.6m. wide, its keystone is at 8 m. high and the total height is 8.95 m. From this standpoint on the walk on top of the wall one can see in the distance the silhouette of the Cathedral towers. Through this gate, on the right hand side the staircase leads to the pedestrian walk on top.