PAZO DE XELMÍREZ

Civil
On the Way of St. James
635
Cultural heritage Civil "Pazo" (Country House)

Location

Praza do Obradoiro s/n

15704  Santiago de Compostela - A Coruña

Coordinates:
42º 52' 51.9" N - 8º 32' 42.9" W

Description

This is the most representative example in Spain of civil Romanesque architecture. When the original palace was destroyed during the 1117 revolts, Archbishop Xelmírez ordered the construction of a new one, around 1120, on the northern side of the Cathedral. Built in granite ashlar, it has a T-shaped ground plan and consists of two floors and a gallery on the upper part. It is entered from the Plaza del Obradoiro. Dating from the Romanesque period are the kitchens and the refectory or "sala de las limosnas". The construction of this last structure is attributed to Juan Arias, archbishop of Santiago between 1238 and 1266. It is a rectangular area with a ribbed vault, whose ribs stand on consoles with profuse iconographic depictions , interpreted as commemorating some royal event that, supposedly, to place in the palace (guests enjoying a banquet and servants attending them, musicians, etc.). Declared Historic-Artistic Monument in 1931.

Access

Town area. Old quarter.

The Ways of St. James

Portiguese Route
The English Camino
The Fistera-Muxía Camino
The French Camino
The Northern Camino
The Primitive Camino
The Route of the Sea of Arousa and River Ulla
The Winter Camino
Vía de la Plata

Statement

Good of Cultural Interest
Last update: 20/12/2018
Arriba