Located on the entrance from the South-East or "Via de la Plata" route of St. James´ way. The foundation of the Monastery of Sar in 1136 is associated with Munio Alfonso (member of the cathedral chapter) and Archbishop Xelmírez. It was the first Augustin community in Galicia. The architectural structure consists of three areas: Romanesque church, cloister and the old quarters of the Baroque priory. The church, on a rectangular ground plan, built in granite ashlar with an intersecting slate roof, follows the canons of Romanesque style. The sanctuary consists of three apses on a polygonal ground plan, semi-circular on the exterior, except the central one. The north wall has six buttresses, joined by pointed arches, and is reinforced by a system of flying buttresses added in the 18th century. The ground plan in three aisles is reflected on the facade, since it is arranged in three segments, divided by two buttresses. The central segment has a doorway with a smooth tympanum, semi-circular archivolts held up by inset columns, whose capitals are reminiscent of the Master-architect Mateo´s workshop. The upper part of the facade was reformed in 1732, losing its medieval rose window. The priory houses the Religious Art Museum. Nine arcades remain from the 13th-century cloister, and the rest is 18th-century.
Declared Historic-Artistic Monument in 1985