Parish Church of Santiago: built in the eighteenth century
over a previously existing church from the sixteenth century
on the orders of the Archbishop of Santiago, Bartolomé
Raxoi e Losada, who was born in the town. The interior
includes the sixteenth-century tomb of Fernando de
Andrade, from the same time when the main altar was built.
The Archbishop also ordered the construction of the Raxoi
Palace in the town, more modest than its counterpart in
Compostela, but of greater artistic merit. These monuments
are located in the higher part of the town, from which a
series of lanes descend to the Praza do Conde square,
which contains the pazo or mansion of the Count and the
Castle of the Andrade Family, of which today only the Torre
dos Andrade remains, a beautiful tower of Gothic origin.
Convent of Santo Agostiño: situated at the other end of the
town, it was founded in the sixteenth century by Fernando
de Andrade. After the repossession of church lands in 1835
it ceased to belong to the church, and today is the home of
the ?House of Culture?.
Church of As Virtudes or O Souto: situated at the end of the
Alameda park. Built over a previous seventeenth-century
church, it has an austere façade but contains an altarpiece in
exuberant ?Churrigueresco? style.
Other buildings of interest are the Cátedra da Latinidade, the
legacy of a studies professorship founded in the sixteenth
century, a restrained, elegant building. The Edificio das Lonxas
(Fish Market) is neo-Classic in style, with a markedly
horizontal design, and the Edificio do Mercado (Market
Building), constructed in colonial style in 1944.
Bridge over the River Eume : The town takes its name from the
stone bridge, which for many years was the longest in Spain,
spanning some 850 metres. Its origins date back to the
fourteenth century, although the current version was
completed in the nineteenth century. At the entrance to the
bridge are a boar and bear, emblems of the House of Andrade.