CONVENTO DO CARME

Religious
588
On the Way of St. James

Location

Parish: Padrón (Santiago)

Place: Padrón

15900  Padrón - A Coruña

Coordinates:
42º 44' 19.9" N - 8º 39' 47.9" W

Description

The building was erected in the early 18th century, thanks to the intervention of Alonso de la Peña y Montenegro, Bishop of Quito, who donated forty-thousand duros for its foundation.It was inaugurated in the year 1752, with its religious community belonging to the Barefoot Carmelites until the 20th centuiy, when it passed into the hands of the Dominicans. The community occupied the convent until the beginning of the 80s last century, when the building´s poor state of repair and scanty economic resources available forced them to move, leaving one Dominican in charge, who normally gives mass and and supervises the restoration work being carried out by trade schools. With the subsidies from several public institutions, these have a llearning and workshop centre here; carpinters, masons, locksmiths...youths from all over the district learning a trade.

Access

In Padrón´s town centre.

The Ways of St. James

Portiguese Route

Styles

Neoclassical

Religious order

Dominicans
Arriba