Up to 3,000 English pilgrims registered in the A Coruña port in 1434, the port which would end up accepting nearly all these sea-faring pilgrims. They also disembarked in Ferrol, from where they would set off on their route on foot. The monastery of O Couto, with its beautiful Romanesque church of San Martiño de Xuvia, reflected in the Ferrol estuary, was the first stop to be made. The monastery of Caaveiro was perhaps their second port of call, but they almost certainly crossed the medieval bridges built by the Andrade family. They passed through Pontedeume, Cambre, Betanzos and O Burgo, where they joined the A Coruña route, after having crossed “one of the most beautiful and varied regions of Europe” as we read in the “General Chronicle of Spain”, written in 1865. It is full of unforgettable medieval monuments, such as the castles of Pontedeume, the Romanesque one at Breamo, Tiobre, Santa María de Cambre, and the monumental city of Betanzos.
The two routes joined up in Santiago de Sigrás. Those coming from A Coruña had entrusted themselves to the Apostle in the Romanesque temple of Santiago, or in its associated church of Santa María, the two buildings forming part of the monumental and historical complex of the “Ciudad Vieja” (Old City). They left the city via Eiris, with the views of the historic Elviña fields facing them, overlooked by the hill fort. From Sigrás, an undulating way, pleasant and enjoyable, the route climbs to Mesón do Vento, where Philip II left his mark on the illustrious houses of Sarandóns and Poulo with his coat of arms, as did Queen Marian of Neuburg on the stately house of Marzoa. Crossing the Romanesque and Gothic bridge of Sigüeiro, the pace was stepped up to see the towers of the Compostela Cathedral standing out before them from Boisaca.