The square is the organising space of the upper part of the old quarter. Almost all the surrounding streets lead here. The famous writer whose bust presides the square from atop a column, has given his name to the square since 1840. This square was formerly known as Pan or Campo. Of the buildings around this place the church of San Bieito do Campo and the building of the banker Olimpio Pérez are noteworthy.