Officially opened in 1892, it is one of the most important pieces of theatre architecture in Spain in the 19th century. The splendid acoustics and fine decoration of its interior bear witness to the importance of the town´ s cultural activities. The vicissitudes endured by the unfinished theatre have been prolonged into the 20th century. In 1908 it started projecting films. After being sold to the Fraga company, the municipal architect Rodolfo Ucha was commissioned to refurbish it by giving it a new facade and furnishing the building with the imposing aspect of a modern urban palace. It has a triple horizontal division: base, main two-storey body and cornice. Throughout the 20th century it has continued to be the subject of different plans and today it is still awaiting restoration.