IGREXA DE SAN FIZ DE SOLOVIO

Religious
On the Way of St. James
543

Location

Street: de S. Fiz de Solovio, s/n

15704  Santiago de Compostela - A Coruña

Coordinates:
42º 52' 45.9" N - 8º 32' 29.9" W

Description

Original church destroyed by Almansur in the year 997 and rebuilt by Archbishop Xelmírez in the 12th century. From the Romanesque period, all that remains is the door and the painted relief on its tympanum showing the Adoration of the Magi (F. Paris, 1316). Simón Rodríguez extended it at the beginning of the 18th century and built a new bell tower (1708-12), which in later years was often imitated all over Galicia. It stands on a rectangular ground plan with granite ashlar walls and an intersecting slate roof. The facade with its Romanesque doorway (double semi-circular archivolt, the interior decorated with horseshoe arches; jambs flanked by two adjoining columns with smooth shafts and capitals ornamented with plant motifs; door with architrave, and the painted granite relief of the Epiphany on the tympanum) and topped with a Baroque bell gable (one single section on a smooth base, where large plaques are superposed creating a chiaroscuro effect). Inside, there are 15th-century gold and silver artefacts and the Neoclassical retable of La Soledad, by Ferreiro.

Access

Town area. Old quarter.

The Ways of St. James

Portiguese Route
The English Camino
The Fistera-Muxía Camino
The French Camino
The Northern Camino
The Primitive Camino
The Route of the Sea of Arousa and River Ulla
The Winter Camino
Vía de la Plata
Last update: 04/04/2017
Arriba