Its upper medieval origins are associated with the episcopate of St. Peter of Mezonzo (985-1003). In the second quarter of the 12th century, with Xelmírez as archbishop, it was totally rebuilt in Romanesque style. In the second quarter of the 14th century, the main doorway was remodeled, and the Epiphany tympanum from that period is conserved inside. At the end of the 18th century, the second complete reform was carried out, undertaken by Archbishop Malvar, who demolished the entire previous construction. This second reconstruction, carried out by Melchor de Prado, followed Neoclassical style canons. It stands on a rectangular ground plan, with one nave, built from granite ashlar and an intersecting slate roof. The nave is evenly distributed and arranged in four sections, with a barrel vault and a main chapel that represents the apse presbytery, covered by a vault that combines, in one section without vault arches, a half barrel with a quarter sphere. Behind the presbytery is the sanctuary on a rectangular ground plan. The facade is very austere, in one single section reflecting the interior structure, and with one window with a lintel, above which there is a simple small roof on consoles and the large semi-circular window. Inside the church, an exhibition can be seen, mainly on religious art, farming pat of a museum itinerary also consisting of the exhibitions in the General Chapel of Ánimas and the Church of Santa María do Camiño.
Associated sub-resource: Collection of Religious Art of Ánimas, San Bieito and Santa Mª do Camiño.