This door was cut open in 1921, to communicate the future Hospital de Santa María (St. Mary´s Hospital). Mayor Ángel López Pérez was put to trial at the time when five citizens denounced his decesion to blow up this section of the wall without an official permit.
The Local Authority was found guilty and, subsequently, the Government listed the monument in the category of National Heritage, so as to prevent further incidents of this kind.
This new gate was eventually completed in 1928. It is 12 m. wide, its keystone is placed at 9.1m. and the total height is 10 metres.