On the Way of St. James


Street: Campiño de San Francisco 3

15704  Santiago de Compostela - A Coruña

42º 52' 59.9" N - 8º 32' 42.9" W
+34 981 581 600
+34 981 571 916


Provincial and Education Centre for the Franciscan Order. Founded by St. Francis himself 1214 during his visit to the city. All that remains from that original construction are five ogee arches in the main cloister. Ginés Martínez built the new cloister in 1607, arranged on two floors, the lower one with Tuscan pillars holding semi-circular arches; and the upper one with narrower pilasters and semi-circular arched windows. The church, built in cut stone granite in 1742 by Simón Rodríguez, has a rectangular ground plan outlining a Latin cross, a nave with side chapels and a tribune that opens onto the central aisle. The ceiling is a barrel vault with a dome over pendentives, which on the outside shows an octogonal structure and a similarly designed roof. The facade, of an exceptional size, maintains Baroque style on the lower part and totally neo-Classical on the upper. The central section of the lower part has a niche with the image of St. Francis, by Ferreiro. The Tuscan columns and retro-pilasters framing the niche have a small cylinder between the capital and the entablature. The facade is topped with a bell-tower at each end. Declared a Historical-Artistic Monument in 1986.


Town Centre.Historical Area.

The Ways of St. James

Portiguese Route
Portiguese Route by coast
The English Camino
The Fistera-Muxía Camino
The French Camino
The Northern Camino
The Primitive Camino
The Route of the Sea of Arousa and River Ulla
The Winter Camino
Vía de la Plata



Religious order

Help us improve!