IGREXA DE SANTO DOMINGO

Religious
1701
On the Way of St. James

Location

Praza Santo Domingo

15001  A Coruña - A Coruña

Coordinates:
43º 22' 12.9" N - 8º 23' 27.9" W

Description

Baroque church in the Convent of Santo Domingo opened for worship in 1613, built upon the remains of the previous temple which was destroyed by the English in 1589. It has a Latin cross floorplan with a single nave in the main arm; covered with barrel vaulting with lunettes, cupola in the transept and three chapels at the front. In 1663, the Los Remedios chapel was built, followed shortly thereafter by El Rosario, the patron saint of the city. On the outside of the wall at the head of the main or Presbytery chapel is an ogival Romanesque tympanum with the Virgin seated with the Child, originally from one of the entrances of the primitive church.

The Ways of St. James

The English Camino

Styles

Baroque

Religious order

Dominicans
Arriba