CASTELO DE SAN SEBASTIÁN

Civil
2533
On the Way of St. James

Location

36202  Vigo - Pontevedra

Coordinates:
42º 14' 12.9" N - 8º 43' 35.9" W

Description

The only remains of the Castle of San Sebastián are the walls on the north side with two sentry boxes, since one bastion and two half bastions were demolished in order to build the Town Hall. It was built on a small hill, in the lower part of O Castro, to complete the bastioned area of the defences of the military area of Vigo. It was built in the 17th century by the military engineer Juan Villarroel y Prado and the brothers Carlos and Fernando de Grunemberg. It was built in order to defend the city of Vigo from English pirates, who were allied to Portugal in the Portuguese war of Restoration (1640-1668).

The Ways of St. James

Portiguese Route by coast
Cultural heritage Civil Castle, Tower, Fortress
Arriba