SANTA MARÍA DE BELVÍS

Religious
605
On the Way of St. James

Location

Street: Belvís 2

15703  Santiago de Compostela - A Coruña

Coordinates:
42º 52' 41.0" N - 8º 32' 15.0" W
+34 981 587 670
+34 981 562 607

Description

Founded at the beginning of the 14th century by the Friars of Bonaval, it was the first convent of the Order of Dominican nuns in Galicia. At the beginning of the 18th century, the convent building was restructured according to plans by Friar Gabriel de Casas. Standing out on the very sober facade are the arms of Archbishop Monroy, the construction´s patron. The church, built between 1727 and 1739, is by Fernando de Casas y Novoa. Constructed in granite masonry, it has a Latin-cross ground plan covered with a barrel vault and a dome. The towers acts as a passage between the Chapel of La Virgen del Portal (1702), forming a right-angle. The whole construction shows striking simplicity and sobriety, caused by lack of resources.

The Ways of St. James

Portiguese Route
The English Camino
The Fistera-Muxía Camino
The French Camino
The Northern Camino
Vía de la Plata

Styles

Baroque

Religious order

Dominicans
Arriba