On the Way of St. James


Street: Travesa 20

15704  Santiago de Compostela - A Coruña

42º 52' 54.4" N - 8º 32' 27.6" W


Nothing remains of the medieval church, founded and patronised by the Compostela nobleman Ruy Sánchez de Moscoso. Around the middle of the 16th century, the funerary chapel of the Marquises of Camarasa was added, adjoining the left-hand side of the presbytery. The present-day construction was begun in 1747 with the reformation of the main chapel. In 1751, work began on the first section of the nave. In 1771, construction of the nave continued following plans by Miguel Ferro Caaveiro. The facade is the work of the master-architect Friar Plácido Caamiña. It has one single nave on a rectangular ground plan, divided into five sections by vault arches with groin vaults. The side chapels complete it. The walls are of plastered granite masonry and the gable roof is in slate. The facade, in granite blocks, consists of one single segment flanked by double Ionic pilasters, with a split entablature and a curved pediment above this, split on the lower part to accommodate a rose window. Inside, it contains an interesting Gothic tympanum of the Epiphany in painted relief, now set into one of the walls, and the main retable, in Baroque style, made in 1758 by Manuel de Leis with sculptures by the master-architect Benito Silveira. Inside the church, an exhibition can be seen, mainly on religious art, which forms part of a museum itinerary that also includes the exhibitions of the General Chapel of Ánimas and the Church of San Bieito do Campo. Associated sub-resource: Colection of Religious Art of Ánimas, San Bieito and Santa Mª do Camiño


Town area. Old quarter.

The Ways of St. James

Portiguese Route
Portiguese Route by coast
The English Camino
The Fistera-Muxía Camino
The French Camino
The Northern Camino
The Primitive Camino
The Route of the Sea of Arousa and River Ulla
The Winter Camino
Vía de la Plata
Help us improve!