On the Way of St. James


Rúa Casas Reais, s/n

15704  Santiago de Compostela - A Coruña

42º 52' 54.3" N - 8º 32' 30.4" W
+34 981 574 638


Church paid for by the brotherhood Cofradía General de Ánimas of the city of Santiago (founded in 1655) who bought the site where there used to stand a Hospital and a Seminary. It was built between 1784 and 1788 following plans by Miguel Ferro Caaveiro and the work was conducted by Juan López Freire. It stands on a rectangular ground plan with granite masonry walls and an intersecting slate roof. It has one single nave, covered with a barrel vault, and three side chapels on each side, joined together, and the presbytery with the rectangular main chapel, narrower than the nave. The monumental facade is attributed to Melchor de Prado. The austere frontispiece is framed by two pairs of enormous columns with plain shafts and Ionic capitals, standing on high pedestals. They support a flat entablature topped with a straight pediment. Over the door there is relief with Souls in Purgatory and a circular rose window. The pediment is topped with two angels adoring the Cross. Inside, the side chapels are decorated with painted bas-reliefs showing scenes from the Passion of Christ. It also contains frescoes by Plácido Fernández Arosa with scenes from the Washing and the Last Supper. Inside the church, it is possible to visit an exhibition, mainly of religious art, which is part of a museum itinerary that also includes the Churches of San Bieito do Campo and Santa María do Camiño.


Urban core. Old Quarter.

The Ways of St. James

Portiguese Route
Portiguese Route by coast
The English Camino
The Fistera-Muxía Camino
The French Camino
The Northern Camino
The Primitive Camino
The Route of the Sea of Arousa and River Ulla
The Winter Camino
Vía de la Plata
Help us improve!