SANTA MARÍA DE SOBRADO DOS MONXES

Religious
1548
On the Way of St. James

Location

Parish: A Porta (San Pedro)

Place: Sobrado

Praza del Portal 2

15813  Sobrado - A Coruña

Coordinates:
43º 02' 19.0" N - 8º 01' 20.9" W
+34 981 787 509

Description

Major complex that reached its glory in the 15th and 16th centuries. Abandoned last century, it has been newly occupied and restored sincde the late 50s. The modern church is Baroque, from the 17th century. Standing out are the Chapels of Lla Madalena and El Rosario, and Renaissance sacristy (by Juan de Herrera). The three cloisters: the hospice, the procession and the big cloisters, the chapterhous, its spectacular kitchen and the canteen, complete the main halls.

Access

Turning off at Corredoiras, towards Lugo via Friol, 9 Km ahead (very well sign-posted).

The Ways of St. James

The Northern Camino

Milestones of the Camino

In the 10th century, the Counts of Présaras founded a double family monastery in these lands. This small community became part of the Cistercian Order in the 12th century by the decision of Alfonso VII, a great defender of this order. It later became part of the Fortieth Congregation of Castile, which became a very active community. In the 19th century, the confiscation of ecclesiastical properties led to the abandonment and deterioration of the building, but thanks to the purchase of the building by Cardinal Payá, its destruction was avoided. In the 1950s, it received a new religious community, this time from the Benedictine Order, and who would partially restore it. At present, the Xunta de Galicia (Galician regional government) has favoured another important restoration work, aimed at the church and other monastic buildings.

After its medieval flourishing, Sobrado experienced a period of splendour between the 15th and 18th centuries, which also entailed the loss of a large part of the Romanesque masonry in order to adapt to the prevailing aesthetics of the time. The refectory, the kitchen and the chapel of San Juan, attached to the north arm of the transept, are some of the few spaces preserved from the medieval period. The complex also has three cloisters: the so-called Great Cloister, whose construction began in the 16th century and which was completed in the 18th century; the Cloister of the Hospice, also known as the Pilgrims' Cloister, built in the 16th century; and the Cloister of the Processions or the Cloister of the Faces, due to its decoration with medallions with busts of different characters. The latter is the work of the 16th and 18th centuries, it's built over the original Cistercian cloister and is connected to the surviving parts of the aforementioned medieval monastery.

The monastery church was transformed from the 17th century onwards to become a Baroque construction. It has a Latin cross floor plan and three naves in the main body, the central one being of greater proportion. The design of the façade is the work of Pedro de Monteagudo. Inside, the chapels of the Magdalena and the Rosary stand out, as well as the Renaissance sacristy.

It was declared a National Historic-Artistic Monument in 1931 and 2015; as it forms part of the Northern Way, it has also been declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.

Timetables

At present there are no visits and the hostelry is closed until further notice, due to the Covid-19 crisis.

Styles

Baroque
Reanaissance
Romanesque

Religious order

Cistercians

Statement

Good of Cultural Interest
Arriba
Help us improve!