The Monastery of San Clodio was declared, together with the bridge of the same name, a National Historical Artistic Monument in 1931. Its origins are not totally clear. Some sources date it back to the 6th century. For other scholars, such as Sandoval y Yepes, it was established in 928. Initially, it was made available to the black monks of the Order of St. Benedict, who turned it into a prosperous agricultural site. Vine cultivation was introduced in the area from here. From 1225 until its secularisation it was Cistercian, and then again Benedictine since the late 19th century.
On the monastery's façade we can see the Caravaca cross known as "Divina Reliquia" (Divine Relic), venerated by the inhabitants to keep the vines free from hail.
The monastery's church, which carries the name of Santa María, is Gothic in style and has three apses corresponding to the naves. The image of the virgin is on the main altarpiece surrounded by saints of the orders that occupied the monastery at some point. The Baroque façade of the ancient abbey palace is noteworthy. Today, after restoration, the former monastery has been converted into the Hotel Monacal (Monastic Hotel). We can access the two cloisters by entering through the reception.