The Shrine dedicated to San Campio de Lonxe (Saint Campion of Afar), also known as San Campio do Monte (Saint Campion of the Mount), was built in 1804 over an ancient chapel dedicated to Saint Anthony of Padova. Between 1871 and 1874 it underwent reforms, whilst the last modifications were carried out in the 20th century, in 1974 and 1993. Its most interesting elements are its façade, the towers (with balustrade, bell tower and a stylised top) and the "cruceiro" (stone cross) situated outside. On the inside we will take particular interest in the altar and the image of Saint Campion, which dates back to the 17th century. The temple has four side altars and several chapels. In the "penitencial" chapel (for penance) and that of "las ceras y las ofrendas" (for wax figures and offerings) there are carved figures by different artists.
Saint Campion was a Roman soldier who, because he was a Christian, suffered martyrdom in the year 306 A.D., his body being laid to rest in the Saint Calixtus cemetery (Catacombs) in Rome. According to legend, his wife Archelaida and his children received the same fate upon confessing their faith. Because of his former profession, Saint Campion is considered the protector of the youngsters who join the armed forces. The soldiers visit the shrine and offer the saint their ties, with the hope of receiving protection against any dangers they may have to face.
The "de Lonxe" ("from afar") part of the name stems from the fact that the devotees travel great distances on foot to visit the shrine. Furthermore, compared to other places where this saint is worshipped, the San Campio Shrine is located in quite a remote area.
The pilgrims attribute curative powers to the saint for all types of illnesses, both of the body and of the spirit. Depending on the illness, a specific wax figure is placed on the saint's altar: head, foot, hand, chest, etc. Another of the many traditions linked to this place establishes that pilgrims should offer the saint their weight in cereals or salt, for the purpose of which there is a pair of ancient Roman scales.