SAN SALVADOR DE LÉREZ

Religious
1976
On the Way of St. James

Location

36156  Pontevedra - Pontevedra

Coordinates:
42º 26' 56.9" N - 8º 37' 54.9" W

Description

The Monastery of San Salvador or San Benito de Lérez was founded in the 10th century by Benedictine monks. The present church is Neo-Classical with an 18th-century Baroque façade, where the image of St. Benedict can be seen in a niche. Adjoining the southern wall, one wing of the 16th-century cloister is still standing. Some of the blocks in this wall show tomb engravings and Roman inscriptions, dating from the original construction. The most interesting aspect of the interior is the Chapel of San Benito, built in the year 1700, and where we can see a beautiful image of the Saviour. It is a custom to pass below the Saint´s altar on one´s knees. It can be visited in a timetable of worship: Sundays and holidays at 9:30, 12:00 and 21:00. In the 16th century, Humanities and Philosophy College was set up, where Father Feijóo and Father Sarmiento were prominent. (By speaking with the priest, you can be shown part of the monastery).

Access

From Pontevedra, cross over the Burgo bridge, via the N-550 towards Santiago, and continue for 2 km until turn-off to the right indicating the monastery. It stands 500 metros ahead.

The Ways of St. James

Portiguese Route
Portiguese Route by coast

Styles

Baroque
Reanaissance
Romanesque

Religious order

Today no religious order
Benedictines

Statement

Good of Cultural Interest
Arriba
Help us improve!