The fortress was rebuilt in the 16th century by Vasco das Seixas and its origins are unknown. In 1939, it was acquired by the Provincial Authority of Lugo, which, in 1983, turned it into a museum. Highlights are the folk history section (farming implements, utensils for preparing wool and linen, popular and industrial pottery, objects related to horse-riding, etc.), and the Armory (side-arms and firearms from various periods). Worth special attention is the kitchen (with a granite oven and "lareira" (traditional Galician kitchen) and the dining room (with its Renaissance fireplace and "parladoiros" (Stone windowseats on each side of the window) in the windows), as well as the 18th-century chapel.