Construction work on the church began around the middle of the 16th century, and continued during the 17th. Erected over an ancient chapel and buuilt in rubblework, except the Main Chapel where the material used is cut stone blocks. The interior is made up of three chapels whose entrance arches support part of the vault, showing three different styles; The Chapel of La Soledad (Romanesque), the Chapel of Las Ánimas (Baroque) and the Chapel of La Virgen del Rosario (Neo-Classical). The Main Chapel has a Neo-Classical retable around a fresco. On the outside, the bell-tower is from the 18th century (1700-1714), by Fernando de Casas Novoa (insipired by the bell-tower on the Monastery of Santo Domingo de Bonaval, in Santiago).